Sunday, June 29, 2014

Goodbye New Lanark

I've written and re-written this post at least ten times now. The past week or so has been nuts between finalizing brochure content, setting up an entire new exhibition plus fetching my brother from the airport and stashing him in my hostel room for a few days. Now that I have OFFICIALLY completed my internship with the New Lanark Trust (!!!!), I have time for half a breath while I repack to set off on my travels with Quinton .

As I'm writing this "goodbye" post I'm simultaneously starting the reflection process for this part of the journey. This means that my thoughts are jumbled and range everywhere from being completely humbled and grateful for the many wonderful people that have helped me along the way, to giving myself three hundred pats on the back for adapting and thriving in a foreign country.

There's no doubt in my mind that I couldn't have had a better supervisor for this internship. My boss, Jane, went above and beyond my expectations for this journey. She entrusted a lot of responsibility in me and didn't hesitate to give me multiple projects - which for someone who loves the rush of working on things and tweaking details down to the last second, was perfect. But it was the hospitality she showed me outside of work that really made this special. She included me in community and family events that really provided me with the opportunity to experience and understand the dynamics and customs of this culture. This, and the fact that she rocks five inch heels on the cobble stones and six flights of stairs at New Lanark, makes her outstanding in her role as a mentor. 

It was strange to say goodbye to the people in the office. Six weeks in a work environment can fly by when there are so many projects afoot and it's just enough time to start feeling settled and in your groove before your time has run out. New Lanark has such an impressive variety of talents working at their site and because of that, this historic mill, over a century old, constantly feels like it's moving forward and growing thanks to the creativity and vision of its employees. 

New Harmony and New Lanark, although their history is intertwined, are so very different. However, learning more in-depth history about New Lanark has given me a better understanding of the material I talk about when I work at the Visitors Center in New Harmony. I was also more than happy to dust off my New Harmony tour guide monologues for guests or even workers at New Lanark that didn't know much about Robert Owen's purchase, vision and time in Indiana. 

I'm sad to leave this place. The people, the atmosphere, the constant presence of carbs and champagne (Scotland's two mascots, I've decided) have been greater than I could have imagined. I'm sure I don't fully comprehend how much I've grown over that past month and a half. It's kind of  "sink or swim" when you head out, alone, to a foreign place, but I'm proud of myself for swimming. I've spent a lot of time alone - traveling, exploring, dining, sightseeing - and at times it can be lonely, but ultimately I think I've learned a lot about adapting and I'm seeing the world in a different way.

Without a doubt, I could babble on and on about the effect this internship has had on me (fair warning to all those that talk to me upon my return home), but the fun isn't over! Quinton and I set out for Inverness in the morning and thus begins the second half of my summer. Packing for a second time was no less stressful than the first time, but at least I'm packing clothes designed for the heat and sun. Love you, Scotland, but I need to catch some rays. (Which won't happen in Inverness but hopefully later destinations like Spain.)

Fear not, I'll still blog while Q and I travel! Although I'm confined to just using my iPhone, which I find has an effect on my writing skills.

Warning: future blogs could be less professional.

Cheers!
TGT


1 comment: