Friday, May 30, 2014

Call of the Wild

On a scale from 1 - 10 of how outdoorsy I am I'd say I'm a 4 or 5 (unless drinks on the patio or laying by a pool counts, in which case I'm a solid 9). It's not that I hate being outside, it's just not often that I'm inspired to get in my car and drive somewhere to hike or climb or parkor on things. Alas, that inspiration has finally struck now that I'm in Scotland! Maybe it's the river, or the hills, or that the sun is up until 10pm so I have all the time in the world. Regardless, I'm spending a surprising amount of time outside.

New Lanark is nestled in the bottom of a gorge next to the River Clyde; this means in order to get to Lanark (i.e. the store, restaurants, shopping) you have to walk about a mile uphill. But it's not a regular uphill. It's like... the highest setting of incline on the treadmill, uphill. The way back down is even difficult because it's so steep that my legs don't know what to do. I've adopted this kind of squat-jog for the worst parts that I'm sure is one of my more attractive talents. I voluntarily climb this to town instead of waiting for the one bus an hour because I feel good once I've completed it, the views are perfect and I know the way back will be less torturous. Except the other day when I walked back to New Lanark with three bags of groceries from the store.

I've also hiked the 5km trail up to the Falls of Clyde a few times, and it's spectacular each time. On my first trip, there were all those dandelion puffs floating around in the air, which can be obnoxious if you tend to walk around with your mouth ajar like I do, but when I finally got up to the viewpoint and stood in awe of the falls it seemed like they were suspended in mid-air. It was magical. Sort of like in Avatar when all those bouncy sea urchins swirled around Jake and ceremoniously landed on him. Only I wasn't blue or naked.

The Falls of Clyde attract visitors just as much as the historical site does and they offer a pretty good photo op too! Enjoy!





And a hiking selfie just to prove I was there.
Note: When you travel alone, you selfie alone. This can be awkward, but the woods aren't here to judge.

My arrival was a bit like "Welcome to Scotland, now get to work" which I'm happy about. Six weeks isn't long to really get involved and have a grasp on the numerous projects that are going on. I've been pretty busy already and I haven't even finished week two! Today I helped install part of an exhibit for a joint exhibition we're doing with the Lanark Library for their centenary. I'll be posting more about it next week when we finish the New Lanark portion.

Tomorrow I'm attending my first "hen-do" (the equivalent of a bachelorette party). But for now, I'm hearing a live band outside my room which probably means a reception at the hotel, which definitely means there's cake. And I just so happen to need some dessert.

Cheers!
TGT

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a blast, Kathleen! Send us a picture of you and the exhibit you're helping to install!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE YOU! I so enjoy reading about your travels and experiences while overseas. I know you are leaving your "Sledge" stamp everywhere you go! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete