Monday, May 19, 2014

Layover Saga

It happened! I've been hit with a delay. Woe is me. 

My 9:45pm flight has been pushed back, but it's all part of the fun, right? Currently, I'm taking the opportunity to analyze the difference between the way the American couple next to me is handling it, and the way a Scottish man across from me is dealing with the news. Observations so far boil down to: Americans fretting, nagging and walking around like life is over and the Scotsman spreading the "it's out of our hands" mentality. Just a coincidence? Or will the laid back nature be a trend I notice in Scotland? I'll never know unless I get out of this airport. But for now, I'm trapped in a land of overpriced coffee and salads... it could be worse.

Layovers do have an upside; they create ample time to sit around and reflect on my expectations for this trip. Undoubtedly, I will experience culture shock, homesickness, and annoyance with spotty/lack of wifi (typical generation X) but none of that will trump the experience of learning how business and society function, first hand, in another culture. I don't even have to have my first day of work to know that this experience will be invaluable.

At USI, I've taken classes that have strengthened my skills in communications, advertising, public relations and more. From this internship I hope to expand on those skills as well as broaden my scope in marketing and hospitality. The New Lanark World Heritage Site is currently rebranding and I'm beyond excited to be able to be a part of the expansion and promotion of the new brand. Since I already work at the Visitor Center in New Harmony, I''m already fimiliar with New Lanark's history since the two sites have connected pasts. I'm presented with the unique opportunity to be able to work at both ends of the spectrum  and apply techniques and ideas from both sites to the other. I wonder if visitors to New Lanark come from far and wide, the way they do in New Harmony? It's always special to see the draw such a small place can have.

For now, I'll blow up my inflatable neck pillow and go stand in the middle of the airport corridors so the workers driving the ten person golf carts yell "beep beep beep beep beep beep beep". Talk about wild fun.

Also, enjoy this "beginning of the journey" photo my fabulous mother insisted on taking this morning.

Cheers!
TGT

No comments:

Post a Comment