Friday, May 23, 2014

Welcome to Scotland!

Let me start this post out by saying thank you! I've had over 100 views on this blog and that makes my palms all sweaty from 4,000 miles away!


As you may have guessed, I arrived safely in Scotland! First things first, I'll get my list of unfortunate mishaps out of the way before I obnoxiously gush about how great things are. So, after my flight delay and not taking off until midnight or so...

1.      I got detained at immigration. I'm not really sure what the lady wanted from me since I had every document, form of ID and proof of being a student/intern, but I didn't have the answers she was searching for. Shoutout to her for doing her job, but the holdup caused me to chase my luggage around Edinburgh airport, nearly miss my contact picking me up, and almost unleash my inner Jason Bourne.
2.     After getting out of the shower, prepared to look fabulous for my first day of work, I realized that although my phone charger fits the adapter, my hair dryer does not (a tragic case where one of the little prongs is bigger than the other). Needless to say, I looked very adorable for day one in New Lanark... Also, I have bought another hairdryer, I know that was the pressing issue on your mind.
3.     I was service and wifi-less for over 24 hours. Recall my last post where I predicted I may get mad at my lack of phone capabilities? I checked that off the list right away. I mostly just wanted to get word to my family that I made it off the flight and broke out of custody at immigration. I now have wifi access in my room and have FaceTimed with Bella for her birthday, but that was a rough day and a half!

Enough tragedy.
The people in Scotland are magnificent. I have to stay focused or I have no clue what anyone is saying, but everyone I encounter seems to gladly go out of their way to chat, help or include me. I've been thrown right in to the mix at work; day one I helped conduct a workshop at a primary school where a little boy asked me what language I was speaking, and day two was spent doing archive work in Lanark's library. I'm noticing how perfect the timing of my internship is because there is so much happening at the site right now that I get to be a part of.

I have already experienced some frustration with trying to write or proof content. The sentence structure, acceptable lingo and grammar style is far different here and it's difficult to shy away from the ever-looming AP Stylebook that is the Holy Grail in so much of my coursework at school. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm already learning that training doesn't necessarily cross boarders that well.


I'll end with a little Scotland weather. I was welcomed to the UK with...

...this perfect weather! (I'm staying in one of the far houses) After work, we raced to the store, along with the rest of Lanark, to buy grilling necessities. I'm told that you can't plan for a barbeque in Scotland so when the weather is perfect you drop everything to take the opportunity to spend the evening in the garden - which we did.


However, I was warned that it was just a trick and the sun wouldn't stay around like that for long. They were right. Every day since then has looked a little something like...

...this. A bit dreary, but with the River Clyde right outside your window and hills in the other direction, you can't really complain.

I’m headed to Glasgow tomorrow for exploring and perhaps casually kidnapping a member of One Direction since they’ll be in town.

Cheers!
TGT



No comments:

Post a Comment